Playing hide & seek behind the tv!

Playing hide & seek behind the tv!

Thursday 22 April 2010

A little bit of background....

As I've started this blog late rather than at the beginning of my pregnancy, I really should do a quick update on the missing weeks. After finding out about the twins at my 12 week scan, I was told I would be scanned every two weeks starting from 16 weeks onwards, to keep an eye on the babies' growth. Reason for this is because as they are identical, they are at risk of getting Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS). This is a condition where one twin gets most of the nutrients (they share a placenta) while the other starves, and can be fatal for both babies.

Of course the moment I heard I'm carrying twins I came home and frantically googled identical twins, hoping to learn more about what to expect. When I read about TTTS my concerns and anxieties I already had quadrupled!! I couldn't stop worrying! The next 4 weeks seemed like the longest in my life, waiting for the date to finally arrive for my next scan. Unfortunately, it didn't put my mind at rest, as I had a terrible consultant who had no bedside manner. She explained the reason for the regular scans and the risks of TTTS, telling me that both babies "could die" if they get it! I was horrified at the way she put it. Rather than reassuring me and calming me down, I left that appointment a nervous wreck. I will not bore you with the details, but to cut a long story short, I complained and got my consultant changed. I am now in the care of a lovely and very capable consultant and I'm happy to report that all is well with the boys. Oh yeah, I found out I'm having two more boys! Aaaaah the testosterone levels that will be in our household!! Hopefully it won't result in me growing hairs on my chest!

I was signed off work at 20 weeks, so have been at home (barely moving from my trusty old sofa, I'm sure there's a bum dent in it now!) for the last 6 weeks. I am going out of my mind with boredom and frustration as I am really not used to sitting around doing nothing, but if it means my boys are growing well and will stay put for longer, than so be it. And so here we are today! Twenty six weeks and 1 day pregnant, and as huge as an elephant! Now where did I put that second chocolate bar....

No comments:

Post a Comment